The Correct Way to Have a Good Violin Bow Hold
- by admin
The way the violin bow works is that the player holds it on the string and they pull it across the strings of the violin. This in turn creates vibrations and creates the resonating sound. It is an incredibly important part of learning how to play the violin, as it can cause bad consequences if a person develops a poor bow hold. So it should be one of the first things a violin player learns.
For many violin players, their down fall is holding the antique violin bows violin bow correctly. It is because it is so difficult to hold so precisely. The violin bow hold seems quite easy in principle, but holding some fingers in some unusual places may take a while to get used to.
So here is some advice on how to hold the violin bow correctly:
1. Make sure the bow isn’t too tight – the fiddlestick at its thinnest part between the wood and horsehair should be thin enough just to be able to scrape through a small finger.
2. Place the index finger around the side of the bow and place the end of the finger on the side of it
3. Move the middle and ring fingers over to the other side of the bow – roughly placing the ring finger on the circle on the other side.
4. Finally, place the little finger on its tip toward the back of the violin bow, but not on the metal screwing part.
5. Be calm, as holding or tensing the bow a lot will make it harder to pull the bow over the string and make a better quality sound. So try to loosely put the fingers in place.
6. Try various holdings – look at what happens when you place more pressure on the bow; pressing harder should create a louder noise for example. This way, you can see if your fingers stay in the same correct places when doing different things.
So if you hold the violin bow correctly, then you shall create a much better sound and a smoother action which will help improve other difficult violin playing techniques in the future. So learning how to play the violin with the correct bow hold shall make a massive difference in the life that you have of playing the stringed instrument.
The way the violin bow works is that the player holds it on the string and they pull it across the strings of the violin. This in turn creates vibrations and creates the resonating sound. It is an incredibly important part of learning how to play the violin, as it can cause bad consequences if…